Monday, June 22, 2009

Busy as a Bee (keeper)

The past few weeks have flown by, as the start of summer always seems to.

I've been to a few improv comedy shows at The Hideout. I tried to attend the Republic of Texas Biker Rally but had to leave due to the heat. I've been to the doctor twice for persistent heat-rash and other heat related issues. I went to Karaoke and was convinced (under influence of alcohol) to sing half a song. And I finally went to the Barton Springs Pool, and I am sure to return.

A bit frustrated at my own time management skills, I am, as always, losing the battle to balance socializing, working, writing, and learning new things. The newest addition to my days is jogging, which I swore I'd never do. It is a quick way to stay fit so it's either jog or cut down on the candy. Do the math: no jogging = less candy, jogging = candy stability, more jogging = more candy.

Note: I am always playing motivator for other people, telling them what they can do to improve this or that. My best intentions usually fail and annoy the ones I mean to help. I want to see the potential in everyone, but then I get ticked when I don't see them living up to that alleged potential. Caught in my own web, my brother Jon is to blame for telling me to jog, telling me to do it just so he could tell me to do something that I have the potential to do. I do not like the taste of my own medicine.

The biggest news is that the non-profit my friend Lizz so ably established is running in high-speed. My next career move (fall 2010) will be a three month stint in South Africa/Zimbabwe setting up a beekeeping farm. Not just a cause I believe in, this move supports a friend I believe in. Not to mention all the fun I'm having when I announce to friends my plans to become a bee rancher (or apiculturist, for the science-inclined).

My goal to do something or meet someone new every day is being reignited by the bee developments. To those who aren't sure what they are doing with their lives: I can only say to treat every day as the beginning of a journey. Corny enough, I wrote this on a post-it on my bathroom mirror. I am never bored, lost, or disappointed on the first day of a journey - and by constantly recognizing something new in my life, I am content to evolve into the person I am meant to be, one day at a time.

1 comment:

piorkipatches said...

and the relief is your candy will always be sweet and probably chocolate (for some the 6th food group) and when you get back from bee keeping a new handle of "Honey" will also be sweeter. LOL AA