Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cherry on Top

Those who know me best would probably subscribe me to Popular Mechanics rather than Cosmopolitan. This week I battled with my beauty inabilities when trying to apply eyeliner for a 'not-sure-if-this-is-a-date' date. The trick to first impressions is to not distract someone with your raccoon makeup, or with constant eye-twitching caused when shadow finds its way to your retina. Though I don't agree with the Cosmo-Girl advice to get a bikini wax before a date, I have been reading their makeup tips for the 'tween. in hopes of someday mastering a few beauty secrets.

Turns out it was a date. Though I didn't want to date until I made friends, it's hard to say no when a guy buys me dessert. We went to Cap. City Comedy which is the place for Austin's stand-up comedy, hosting young stars and seasoned big name pros. We saw Chinaman, the voice of several characters on the cartoon "Dragon Ball Z". I ordered a basket of my newest vice: fried pickles with ranch dressing, ate some of my date's southwest eggrolls, and had some good laughs.

What goes with pickles better than ranch? Ice cream. We headed to Amy's Ice Cream where there are tons of flavors and toppings to choose, which are blended on a warm marble slab. Though reminiscent of Cold Stone Creamery, the scoopers were rolling balls of ice cream and flipping them behind their backs or tossing back and forth. They are training already for Amy's own Trick Olympics, an annual Decathalon of the dred-locked, hippy-esque scoop staff. I sampled their specialty Mexican Vanilla, as well as the chipotle peanut butter, but finally settled on a blend called the Dirty Harry.

Austin restaurants have a uniquely rustic, vaguely hippy, blatently texan quality. My other recent treat was with my friend Susan at Hey Cupcake!, which is, no joke, a silver trailor (ala I Love Lucy) that street vends cupcakes in the SoCo neighborhood. As divey as it sounds, I love that these aren't super frou-frou sugar-frosting things you typically find. And these are endorsed by Oprah. I had the Michael Jackson, a moist chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting, shot in the center with real whip cream. Hey perfect!

No comments: