Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Make New Friends - Keep the Old

Still in the cold arms of wintry Chicago, I am diligently hanging out with friends and strengthening the connections I hold dear. Typically I think post-college adults find friends through other friends, at work, or while hanging out at bars. Though I have one old friend in Austin who I've reunited with, I work from home, and going solo to an Austin bar required more guts then I can regularly muster.

My friend Mikey suggested meeting a new person every day for a year but the question is, How? I just signed on to volunteer at the South by Southwest fest in April. I even scouted people in the "strictly platonic" ads on Craigslist and lined-up a few play dates. Though talking to random store clerks is mildly entertaining... Though feeding the guy in my back dumpster was enlightening... Though getting drinks with my maintenance guy is endearing... There's got to be a better way!

So I want to know: How do you meet new people?

1 comment:

MikeyFlix said...

Maybe shoot for a new friend a week...trying to find one every day might be a little extreme....plus, you will need Rachel time