Tuesday, November 11, 2008

book stores, etc.

Went to the renegade book store yesterday, and defended a customer against the biligerent owner. Have no idea why I entered the argument, other than the fact I had nothing better to do. Went last night to Book People, which is the largest book store in Austin, I think the largest in Texas. Not quite the Mecca I was hoping for; I've been spoiled by the 4 story Borders on Michigan Ave. But they do a lot of author readings, and they're hosting events for this month's National Novel Writing Month, which I'm trying to participate in. Writing a novel in one month = 1200 words/day. I'm not quite there yet, but I keep trying.

The electrician finally came to fix my hot water heater, and while he waited for it to heat I pulled out my cartoonish map of Austin so he could point out his favorite spots. We went across the street for lemonade, yes, I kidnapped the maintenance guy of all people. He used to be in finance, worked for Enron, so we talked some about my current project. I like the place we went to, it's a huge yard full of old furniture and mismatched tables. Mostly old porch swings, those plastic/chrome classroom chairs, and a fountain made from a rusty watering-can pouring into a bathtub.

Applied for waitressing jobs, but I am highly underqualified. I have experience, but every server at every restaurant is covered in tattoos and I wonder if I look to clean-skinned for employment. Austin has more tattoo parlors than any other city in the south, and it shows. Just outline tattoos mostly, not the colorful 'sleeves' I'm used to up north.

I have Cedar Fever as they call it here. The juniper trees are starting to pollinate (they call them cedars) and I'm a sneeze-aholic every time I go outside. Some relief to the allergies and the warmth came when it rained today. I heard the thunder, then the rain came, and two minutes later it was done.

No comments: