Sunday, November 16, 2008

Toothless


Toothless is what Dan referred to Austin as when I met him for chips and queso at Kerby Lane. I get the feeling from a few people that chips and queso is the thing to eat, and Kerby Lane is one of the few 24 hour restaurants in Austin so it's a good place to do it. I also had pumpkin pancakes, and they put every pancake I've ever had before to shame, I had no idea they were supposed to taste that good.

Hadn't seen Dan since high school and it was good to see a familiar face, and a fellow writer at that, and have a few laughs.

Moved the rest of my stuff out of storage then played pool at Rack Billiards on the east side of the highway. The east side is supposed to be the sketchy area of the city, but to me it looked like any bar in Northwest Indiana. The only difference is that the waitresses wear no makeup but show a lot more skin. As in: mid-drif shirts, or men's vests with no shirt beneath, plus skinny leg jeans and boots over the pants. There is supposed to be no indoor smoking in Austin, but that rule doesn't seem to apply on the east side.

Annoyed with my own bad habit of smoking, I have yet another reason to quit. Most places in Austin do not take out of state IDs for liquor or cigarette purchases. Out of towners should consider themselves warned.

No comments: